Play opposite tarimas /ˈɒpəzɪt/
Paaiškinimas anglų kalba
- of leaves etc; growing in pairs on either side of a stem "opposite leaves"
- characterized by opposite extremes; completely opposed "in diametric contradiction to his claims" "diametrical (or opposite) points of view" "opposite meanings" "extreme and indefensible polar positions"
- altogether different in nature or quality or significance "the medicine's effect was opposite to that intended" "it is said that opposite characters make a union happiest" - Charles Reade
- the other one of a complementary pair "the opposite sex" "the two chess kings are set up on squares of opposite colors"
- being directly across from each other; facing "And I on the opposite shore will be, ready to ride and spread the alarm" - Longfellow "we lived on opposite sides of the street" "at opposite poles"
- moving or facing away from each other "looking in opposite directions" "they went in opposite directions"
- directly facing each other "the two photographs lay face-to-face on the table" "lived all their lives in houses face-to-face across the street" "they sat opposite at the table"
- a word that expresses a meaning opposed to the meaning of another word, in which case the two words are antonyms of each other "to him the antonym of `gay' was `depressed'"
- a contestant that you are matched against
- a relation of direct opposition "we thought Sue was older than Bill but just the reverse was true"